About the role
We are looking for an Application Engineer to join our team in our New York studio. As Application Engineer, your primary responsibilities span across two functional areas: as the lead engineer on product teams, and as a contributor to the developer experience within our Engineering discipline. You are responsible for architecting and building backend applications for our clients using a range of solutions, including our open-source toolkit for Laravel, Twill; or packaged solutions such as Wordpress or Drupal. In addition to your work as a system architect, you will be integrating front-end components within the backend application, and, in close collaboration with the Engineering Director, research optimal methodology based on the project requirements.
What we are looking for in our next team member:
- Several years experience developing and maintaining web applications
- Strong knowledge of modern PHP techniques, Laravel framework, and related tools
- Fluent with database technologies such as PostgreSQL and MySQL/MariaDB
- Comfortable with provisioning and deployment tools such as Forge and Ansible
- Savvy user of Git
- Experience building maintainable REST APIs
- Experience integrating with other APIs
- Good knowledge of cloud infrastructure
- Experience in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Experience in integrating bespoke performant and responsive web applications
- Keen eye for detail and passion for performant, clean code
Other technologies that would be nice to be familiar with:
- Specific Cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services, Azure or Google Cloud
- Search engines technology like Elasticsearch or Algolia
- SAAS CMS like Contentful, Contentstack, Prismic and alternatives
- Wordpress and/or Drupal
Your previous experience shows us that you:
- Your written and verbal communication is clear and concise. You can articulate complex technological concepts to fellow engineers and translate for non-engineers. You are adept at navigating technical conversations with both team members and clients alike.
- You see the bigger picture and understand how to get there. You are client-facing and understand their needs, while also being aware of and articulate in setting realistic expectations.
- You have an understanding of agency workflow and are an expert collaborator. Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, you are able to pivot between workstreams; you can focus on one project for an extended duration or contribute to multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re passionate about developing your craft as an engineer. Following industry-accepted standards, specifications and best practices, you read Freek Van der Herten and Adam Wathan, subscribe to Laravel News, contribute to or follow open source projects. You love learning new technologies but are discerning enough to know which aren’t production-ready.
As an Application Engineer, your primary responsibilities will be to…
- Lead Application Engineer across concurrent project workstreams (70%)
- Take the lead in designing, implementing and maintaining back-end for web applications;
- Build, test, debug and troubleshoot web services, programs and scripts for various functions and modify existing code to add new features;
- Design, develop, maintain and optimize secure and scalable multi-tier web and mobile applications with high volumes of traffic and high availability;
- Produce clean, high-quality, efficient code;
- Integrate front-end applications with APIs and/or server rendered templates.
2. Contribute to process optimization and developer experience (30%)
- Build new features and improve existing features;
- Stress-test websites and optimize against results;
- Document work and development processes;
- Maintain cutting-edge knowledge of current and emerging technologies, trends and standards.
The Engineering team
We develop custom software that responds to business needs by making engineering a fundamental part of the design process. The engineering team is a design-driven group of coders, thinkers, and problem solvers who bring ideas into reality through the rigorous articulation of creative, strategic, and technical concepts, and ultimately by writing high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability, and performance.
Within project teams, with clients and with one another, our engineers are consummate collaborators who apply their skills to serve our collective mission – to make great work and live great lives.
AREA 17 is a brand and digital product agency
Based in New York and Paris and founded in 2003, we partner with organizations we trust and admire to create lasting value through craft, impact, and soul. We believe the way we advance digital today is imperative to ensuring a more open, resilient, and optimistic world. By crafting brands and products that are fundamental to our interactions as people, we can make the internet an enhancement of our lives, not a distraction from it.
Our cultural commitment is simple — to be an environment where we can do great work and live great lives. We are an international team of 70+ people from 18 countries, speaking 13 languages. As individuals and a team, we are inspired by the world around us and united by our values of rigor, curiosity, kindness, courage and je ne sais quoi.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
At AREA 17, we believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and must work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer competitive packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; robust flexible PTO allowance; 401k; paid family leave; and subsidized transit benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.