We're looking for a User Experience Designer to join the New York team. We’re looking for someone who brings an innovative approach to combining strategic vision with creative insight to deliver successful user interfaces. Success is gauged by the effectiveness of the final product to meet the combined user needs and business goals and through our client’s achievement.
As a successful candidate, you will have an established career in user experience, product, or interaction design. Your experience will be showcased through an up-to-date online portfolio that demonstrates a strong emphasis on craft and a proven record of finding simple solutions to complex problems. We are interested not only at the excellence of tangible artifacts (wireframes, prototypes, etc.), but how they articulate the vision of the product they serve. You will have mastered contemporary tools for user experience design and prototyping and will have a perspective on which of the latest software is best suited to the task.
Please note: we will be giving priority to applicants with at least three years of professional experience. While we don’t currently have entry-level positions open, we encourage any applicants who are just getting started in their careers to check back with us in the future.
As a UX designer, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Support the strategy team in the initial research and discovery phases to gather both user needs and business goals.
- Lead synthesis and ideation phases to turn concepts into specific product features and design ideas.
- Deliver simple and streamlined product architecture through user flows, sitemaps and navigation systems.
- Lead the interaction design and prototyping of websites, apps, and other digital screens core experiences, with a human-centered approach and systems thinking.
- Work closely with small multi-disciplinary teams made up of a representative from strategy, design, and engineering to deliver optimal design solutions.
Your previous experience shows us that you:
- Champion design; as you look out into the world, you see opportunity at every glance for how smarter design could make for a more useful and joyful human experience. And, that’s exactly how you approach designing users’ experience on the web. While your role is not visual design, you have taste and talent for making your work look as good as it communicates.
- Have technical command with a deep understanding of the importance of technical specifications and requirements which you apply to solve user problems across each layer of the user experience — from the business strategy through a product’s launch
- Are a born collaborator and thrive on cross-disciplinary workflows and feedback; you drive excellent results through consistent and proactive innovation and results-driven ideas; you love prototyping and iteratively ideating until the best solution arises.
The Strategy Team
The Strategy team identifies actionable opportunities and prioritizes them by value, effort, and risk—we intend to start 'doing' as quickly as possible. We bring concepts and ideas into reality through the active articulation of creative, and technical ideas that ladder up to the strategic product vision aligned around business goals. Common activities include product road mapping, conducting user research and planning content and technology. While UX is focused under strategy, you will be working very closely with our Design team in creating the simple and clean work we are known for.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
At AREA 17, we believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and must work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer competitive packages including free medical, dental, and vision plans; a no-cap PTO policy (and we actively encourage you to take time off!); paid family leave, and pre-tax commuter benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.