UX Architect / Interaction Designer
As UX Architect / Interaction Designer you marry data with creative insight to deliver successful user experiences. You believe in form and function equally and through a process of iteration and prototyping, you design experiences that offer intuitive utility and human connectivity. You place a strong emphasis on craft and take pride in seeking out simple solutions to complex problems.
On a product team at AREA 17, you will join forces with visual designers, engineers, product directors, producers, and our clients. Together, you’ll work to establish goals and collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization. Combining user experience strategy, information architecture and interaction design, you’ll define and design the critical user paths and holistic user experience across multiple projects. Your success is gauged by the effectiveness of the final product to meet the combined user needs and business goals, and through our client’s achievement.
We help our clients succeed by delivering products that improve life, work and play. After over 13 years in business, we’ve enjoyed partnerships with some of the biggest brands and institutions in the world including Apple, ESPN, Harvard Art Museums, and the National Opera de Paris to name a few. We have studios in New York and Paris and operate dynamically as a united team.
Your previous experience shows us that you ….
- Champion design. As you look out into the world, you see opportunity at every glance for how smarter design could make for a more useful and joyful human experience. And, that’s exactly how you approach designing users’ experience on the web. While your role is not visual design, you have taste and talent for making your work look as good as it communicates.
- Have technical command with a deep understanding of the importance of technical specifications and requirements which you apply to solving user problems across each layer of the user experience— from the business strategy through a product’s launch.
- Are a born collaborator and thrive on cross-disciplinary work flows and feedback; you drive excellent results through consistent and proactive innovation and results-driven ideas; you love prototyping and iteratively ideating until the best solution arises.
Your primary responsibilities would be to...
- Define user groups and scenarios, exposing the ‘jobs to be done'; organizing principles and architecture, including navigation.
- Create data and user workflows that illustrate critical paths, site-maps and schematics that illustrate the information architecture, and page-level wireframes of varying resolution; functional prototypes for pages and unique user interface elements and interactions.
- Support Product Directors and project producers with concepting and UX strategy— setting the foundation for successful, and enduring digital products; completing business analysis and business requirements by auditing existing products and performing competitive research.
- Participate in all phases, from strategy to launch to optimization (this job is not just about making wireframes or participating in one phase); Work iteratively on initial concepts, informed by user research, marketplace and behavior trends.
On paper, we’re looking for candidates with…
- An up-to-date online portfolio showcasing examples of your UX work (prototypes, wireframes, sitemaps, user journeys, scribbles and the like).
- Experience with wireframing and prototyping tools, e.g. Sketch, Principle, Axure, InVision, Flinto, etc. A point of view on which tools you use for what as well as a strong knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS.
- 2-4 years’ experience (agency experience preferred) as a UX, web, digital or interaction designer.
- BA, BS or MS in Interaction Design, HCI, or equivalent experience.
Benefits at AREA 17:
- Generous Health and Dental Package
- MetroCard Program (Pre-tax, 50% co-pay)
- 12 vacation days
- All bank holidays
- Paid break between Christmas and New Year