AREA 17 is looking for a Technical Director to join the Engineering team in our New York studio. At AREA 17 we create digital products, built for people. To develop custom software that supports business goals and responds to user needs we make engineering a fundamental part of our design process. We write high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability and performance.
As a Technical Director, your focus will be across two core ongoing workstreams— as the technical lead on projects, defining the product requirements and guiding your team’s success, and as technical lead in business development, liaising with and designing application recommendations for new clients and working with producers to scope technical builds. With your track record of successful products live in the world, you draw from your experience to wax eloquent— you transform business requirements into a strategic application architecture.
Your previous experience should show us that:
- You are craft-driven — as a seasoned application engineer with back-end development experience in an agency environment, you’ve developed and lead large-scale and concurrent technology engagements. With 5-8 years experience … this isn’t your first rodeo.
- You have advanced knowledge and mastery of programming languages, frameworks and architectural patterns. Including: PHP, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, Wordpress, SQL, queues, services, concurrency, load balancing, reliability, and failover. Not only do you know all about these languages but you can propose alternative solutions and cost-benefit analysis based on these technologies.
- You can review business requirements to craft a system architecture that meets and exceeds client needs. You reduce risk and deliver builds on time and on budget without diminishing code quality.
- You’re comfortable conversing with clients both technical and non-technical alike to sell through your recommendation.
As Technical Director, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Lead technology work streams across concurrent projects. The success of your leadership is gauged by three measures:
- Craft — Ensure the highest quality output. Quality defined as efficient, clean, expressive, maintainable, and well-architected code.
- Culture — Support and improve the developer experience (DX) as noted below.
- Business — Reduce risk. On time, on budget. You can assess recommendations against scope, cost, and craft contingency plans.
- Design strategic application architecture recommendations and scope technical builds in the RFP and new business process. You’ll foster buy-in from client stakeholders and team engineers alike.
- Protect and drive productivity, efficiency, and optimization that bolsters developer happiness. From the perspective of developer experience, you are chiefly concerned with process optimization— how we work together.
- Support and navigate technical aspects of the office operations. As advisor to our internal network productivity, you will work with the office operations team in New York and globally as needed to ensure the physical infrastructure of A17 is optimized.
As the successful candidate you are qualified by…
- 7+ years professional experience in application engineering, software engineering, or application development with special consideration given to those with business development experience in an agency setting.
- In-depth knowledge and fluency in the following languages and frameworks: PHP, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, WordPress or other CMS platforms.
- Expert understanding of best practices across technologies (client/server-side, QA, deployment, project management etc.).
- Affable and outgoing communication style, empathetic leadership skills supported by excellent time management, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills.
AREA 17 is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and AREA 17 is committed to helping all staff develop and grow. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.