AREA 17 is looking for a senior, strategically motivated, business savvy technical architect to join our New York studio as Technical Director. At A17, we develop custom software that responds to business needs by making engineering a fundamental part of our design process. We write high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability and performance.
As Technical Director, your focus will be across two core ongoing workstreams— as a leader within the engineering team, you encourage and shape our collaborative and craft-driven culture that defines our agency. You care about process and best practices not just for the sake of it, but because you know that it bolsters productivity and improves the developer experience and that matters to you. As the external champion representing engineering in the New York studio, you are the technical architect, designing application recommendations for new clients and working with producers to scope technical builds. With your track record of successful products live in the world, you draw from your experience to wax eloquent— you transform business requirements into a strategic application architecture.
Your previous experience should show us that:
- You can review business requirements to craft a system architecture that meets and exceeds client needs. You reduce risk and deliver builds on time and on budget without diminishing code quality.
- You’re comfortable conversing with clients and selling through your technical recommendation. You can converse with technically proficient and novices alike to describe complex technological concepts no matter the audience.
- You’re a seasoned application engineer with back-end development experience in an agency environment. With 5-8 years experience, you’ve developed and lead large-scale technology engagements… this isn’t your first rodeo. While your focus is on application architecture, you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into the code from time to time.
- Advanced knowledge and mastery of programming languages, frameworks and architectural patterns. Including: Ruby on Rails, PHP, Laravel, Wordpress, SQL, queues, services, concurrency, load balancing, reliability, and failover. Not only do you know all about these languages but you can propose alternative solutions and cost-benefit analysis based on these technologies.
As Technical Director, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Provide technical leadership to the new business workstream. In tandem with company leadership, our new business strategists and producers, you’ll craft strategic application architecture recommendations and scope technical builds all while fostering buy-in from client stakeholders and team engineers alike.
- Lead technology work streams across concurrent projects. The success of your leadership is gauged by three measures:
- Financial — Reduce risk. On time, on budget. You can assess recommendations against scope, cost, and craft contingency plans.
- Craft — Ensure the highest quality output. Quality defined as efficient, clean, expressive, maintainable, and well-architected code.
- Culture — Improve the developer experience (DX) as noted below.
- Protect and drive productivity, efficiency, and optimization that bolsters developer happiness. From the perspective and purview of developer experience, you are chiefly concerned with process optimization— how we work together. As efficiency and consistency are key when crafting solid code, this ensures productivity and code quality which is key to developer happiness.
- Support and navigate technical aspects of the office operations. As advisor to our internal network productivity, you will work with the office operations team in New York and globally as needed to ensure the physical infrastructure of A17 is optimized.
As the successful candidate you are qualified by…
- 7+ years professional experience in application engineering, software engineering, or application development with special consideration given to those with business development experience in an agency setting.
- In-depth knowledge and fluency in the following languages and frameworks: Ruby on Rails, PHP, Laravel, WordPress or other CMS platforms.
- Expert understanding of best practices across technologies (client/server-side, QA, deployment, project management etc.).
- Affable and outgoing communication style, empathetic leadership skills supported by excellent time management, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills