AREA 17 is a digital product agency. As a company we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and performance we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions and design firms, editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, and with progressive start-ups, brands, non-profits and philanthropies.
We are in search of an account-savvy, process-driven, digital native to join us as a Production Director on our team. The successful candidate is one with a digital production background in an agency setting who has diverse experience leading product engagements large and small, and can hit the ground in leading any multi stream portfolio from day one. Armed with this experience you now seek to add new challenges— to seed your project management skills into team management and apply your command of the production process to further define optimal methodologies. While qualified, we’re not after candidates with many years experience in director level positions or those who hold VP titles. This opportunity is well suited for those ready for a step up in their career, and those who desire to further develop and cultivate their mentorship, team building and discipline leadership skills.
The Production Director is focused equally in two on going workstreams—
As a leader within the Production team, you participate in the strategic management of the department through the continued codification of our production processes and tools in collaboration with others. You seek meaningful opportunities for team members to flex and grow. Backed by your deep command of the digital product space and best practices, you know how to get things done; and your high emotional intelligence, informs why.
As a senior producer, you will both guide and manage others through their projects and produce complex digital engagements yourself. In this capacity, you go beyond on time and on budget. With an appetite for business and an aptitude for technology and design, you approach client business problems with holistic strategic thinking. You collaborate with discipline leads through all stages of an engagement from prospect to launch. Your consummate communication skills afford you dexterity in a variety of professional situations from organizing client presentations with C-Suite stakeholders to internal review sessions with core teams.
Your experience should show us that you:
- have extensive agency or digital production experience, and the project management and tactical skills needed to gracefully produce multiple projects for diverse clients and industries.
- have worked with technical clients to produce complex, multi-domain platforms from inception to launch; marrying well-crafted solutions with healthy profit margins; your production experience is in sophisticated digital products, not limited to banner ads and marketing campaigns.
- are a trusted leader and an active collaborator, able to inspire teammates in multiple disciplines, with interdisciplinary command of strategy, design and engineering.
- are an organized presenter and natural facilitator capable of parsing and communicating complex ideas to differentiated audiences, internally and externally.
- are an innovative problem-solver and creative thinker, delivering tangible solutions with clear goals and concrete results.
- are an empathetic and curious people person who builds and grows genuine relationships through confidence, passion, trust and respect.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
Produce large scale digital products, including: (50%)
- Ongoing management of client and internal teams, and project deliverables, budgets, schedules and reporting
- Create varied documentation for planning, reporting and active project deliverables, from actionable meeting notes and weekly reporting to proposal scopes, test scripts and user flows.
- Actively manage project health, including proactive scenario planning as relates to resourcing and budgeting, as well as in seeking opportunities for the project team experience and product innovation
- Manage vendor selection process as needed for project engagements from drafting briefs and gathering bids, to working with operations and finance team to finalize contracts.
- Develop and deepen client relationships alongside executive leadership and Product Directors
Production leadership through methodology and management (50%)
- Participate in Director meetings and contribute to agency culture, strategy and growth
- Drive and manage the continued codification of Production processes and tools in collaboration with others.
- Identify and report project and portfolio-level dependencies that may affect agency health, such as shifting invoicing schedules, overburn, shifting resourcing needs, etc.
- Manage team collaboration and advancement by ensuring consistent communication and accessible team dynamics and touchpoints.
- Seek meaningful opportunities for Production team to flex and grow, as individuals and a team, in collaboration with People Operations team
- Contribute to resourcing scenario planning and decision making as relates to our proactive and reactive production pipeline
- Support new business workstream through collaboration with strategy team by synthesizing business requirements and scoping projects or RFP’s.
The Production team is the nexus of our disciplines and offering— the hub, where our products come to life. As the day to day driver of AREA 17 projects, we bring concepts and ideas into reality through the active articulation of creative, strategic, and technical ideas. Within project teams, with clients and with one another, our producers are responsible managers and consummate collaborators who apply these skills to serve our collective mission — to make great work and live great lives.
Fundamentally, we are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist for all— we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.