We are looking for a Partnerships Director to join our team in New York. As Partnerships Director, you’ll drive the new business workstream by securing diverse client partners that connect to and further AREA 17’s mission to support and advance arts, culture, and education, and to improve people’s lives through the brands and products we create with clients whom we trust and admire.
This is not an outbound role filled with salsey jargon, coffees, lunches, and lead generation. This is a position for the process-driven, business-minded and digital production savvy individual— someone charismatic and passionate who is great with and loves liaising with, clients and internal collaborators. We’d wager that congruence is one of your favorite words— you’re a curator who can identify partnership opportunities, secure and nurture relationships with your authentic interest in the potential and necessity of great design, and deep experience in digital agency production, delivering tangible solutions with a high emotional intelligence.
Through hands-on management, you will head up concurrent pitch cycles from intro call to contract with the support of our business development coordinator and ad hoc teams comprised of discipline leads from strategy, production, design, and technology. The ideal candidate will have a background at an agency, consulting, or communications firm with either a track record of sales success or extensive experience in account management. This is a rare opportunity to work with a client base that spans across corporate, nonprofit, and political sectors. If you want to be proud of your clients, then this might be the position for you.
The Business Development Team drives AREA 17’s growth. We are the face of AREA 17 to prospective clients. We help prospects see opportunities more clearly and we help AREA 17 understand the challenges our prospects face. We find solutions to complex business challenges. And we work with our colleagues to persuasively articulate creative, strategic, and technical ideas to executives and practitioners alike.
AREA 17 is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and AREA 17 is committed to helping all staff develop and grow. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Your experience should show us that:
- You’re a trusted leader and an active collaborator, able to inspire teammates in multiple disciplines, speak the language of strategy, design, and engineering, and deliver feedback that elevates performance.
- You’re an organized presenter, natural facilitator, and strategic writer capable of communicating complex ideas to very different audiences. You inspire confidence in client executives and colleagues alike and serve as a stress reducer and proactive connector in pressure-filled situations.
- You have extensive agency or digital product experience, and this is supported by the strategic and tactical skills needed to gracefully direct multiple proposals for diverse clients and industries.
- You have a deep understanding of digital strategy, production, design, and development. While not hands-on with the design or development itself, your strategic frameworks and metrics chart the course for each partnership’s success. Ultimately, your fluency in digital processes and innovation empowers the clients and makers on our team alike.
- You’re an innovative problem-solver and creative thinker, delivering tangible solutions with concrete results. Your track record shows a pattern of innovation despite constraints. You’re more than theories and wild ideas -- you’ve found ways to get your ideas off the whiteboard and into the world.
As Partnerships Director your primary responsibilities will be to:
Direct and lead sales by building active prospective client relationships from initial conversation through close. Including:
- Run end-to-end pitch/proposal process, including collaboration with internal team on pitch deliverables and creating written RFP responses through the hands-on development of proposal and pitch materials including case studies, strategic presentations, and all written components of the proposal.
- Gather and include client partner background information in strategic response such as company history, recent market or company changes, competitors, key decision makers, and any other information crucial to understanding our prospective partnerships.
- Craft a business case and success criteria for each opportunity building on client business goals and strategic imperatives to navigate the proposal process.
- Collaborate with our design, engineering and production team to model innovative digital solutions aligned with the business case and success criteria.
- Qualify all leads and scope of opportunity through the lens of our agency beliefs. Connect potential partners with our offering, making clear the value gained by working with us.
Build, manage and continually develop a sales pipeline to achieve new business targets. Including:
- Maintain existing client relationships, identifying long-term goals and opportunities for further collaboration.
- Create reports and work closely with the partners and financial planner to forecast revenue targets and ensure they are met by the greater team.
- Support leadership team to refine our internal business development strategy and prioritize all initiatives and opportunities based on our business needs.