Are you driven by the potential of design and technology to add value to people’s lives and impact the world for the better?
We are looking for a business-savvy, people-driven, and digitally-grounded Partnerships Director to join our team in New York to lead and advance our business development discipline. Business development is our lifeline and serves as the foundation for how we’re able to do consistently interesting and impactful work; how we realize our mission. We seek a new team member who matches our ambition to support and advance arts, culture, and education, and to improve people’s lives through the brands and products we create with clients whom we admire and trust.
Your experience should show us that...
- You have a passion for arts, culture, education, and social progress. You believe technology and design play an integral and pivotal role in society and culture today—it inspires you, you live to understand it, and you thrive in being part of its positive impact.
- You are a confident and charismatic communicator. You’re an experienced writer, energetic presenter, and natural facilitator. In person, you command the room or conversation while demonstrating compassion, organization, and dynamism. On paper, you’re direct, thoughtful and productive with your words—you make things happen.
- You’re a trusted leader and active collaborator. You inspire teammates and clients alike, leading with empathy, positivity, and rigor—you see yourself as a coach and a player all at once. You adapt your collaboration and communication style to your audience, able to seamlessly integrate and ensure the best experience and output from client executives to technical product owners, from interdisciplinary team members to specialist partners.
- You have a clear command of the digital space. You not only deeply understand a product’s life-cycle, you are a product thinker and champion through and through. Your interdisciplinary fluency across strategy, design, production, and engineering buoys your success as a leader and empowers those around you.
- You are a business strategist, planner, and developer. On balance with building strong relationships, you are driven by the entire process and rigor of business development. You’re excited to dig into responses and relationships, as well as taking the reins of the discipline itself — industry immersion, financial modeling, research and analysis, growth strategy, pipeline management, and scenario planning are your thing.
Your primary responsibilities will be to...
Own business development strategy, planning and reporting
- Draft and manage monthly, quarterly and annual revenue targets and strategic business goals in collaboration with executive team
- Direct and own internal business strategy and reporting tools and templates—from lead assessment, opportunity tracking and re-engagement, to industry/market analysis, scenario planning and financial tracking
- Liaise with business operations and senior production teams to proactively assess, identify and plan for the ongoing evolution of our scoping and project planning tools, process, efficiency—ultimately, to our and our partners’ success
Own business development pipeline and discipline advancement
- Through the lens of our agency beliefs, define a clear framework, workflow, and process for qualifying, prioritizing and advancing leads with speed, rigor and authenticity
- Develop a strategy to ensure an always-healthy, interesting and diverse pipeline
- Drive regular cross-company reporting to ensure seamless business operations, team and project planning, and the resulting client experience and product success
- Create and own business development tools, templates and workflows that ensure team efficiency and clarity, and brand integrity and follow through.
Own responses and client communications
- Direct the internal brief—a distillation of the RFP, and the business case and success criteria for each opportunity informed by client business goals and strategic imperatives.
- Direct or own the strategic response—a crafted response, outlining the opportunity, our perspective and initial thoughts on how to approach it, and context fow why we’d be great partners with them to do it
- Manage interdisciplinary Response workflows and templates, including FAQs, email templates, scope calculators, SOWs, MSAs, strategic response deck(s), A17 intro materials, etc.
- Direct concurrent responses alongside the Partnerships Manager and in collaboration with focused multi-disciplinary teams from Production, Strategy, Design and Engineering as needed.
- Own legal and financial assessment, and contract negotiations and processing with support from executive leads and finance team
Lead positioning and communications strategy
- Uphold consistency and standards of communications—through quality control for all external-facing communications, presentations, and proposals, as well as attention to detail and finesse
- Consistently vet, tweak and advance agency positioning, messaging and materials to meet our active industry and client landscape, as well as our products and services
- Define and lead outbound strategy and communications, in collaboration with cross-discipline leads
- In collaboration with leadership, plan and implement a 2019 communications strategy including thematic planning and developing an editorial, thought leadership and events calendar to engage broader industry and enhance existing A17 community.
The Partnerships Team drives business growth. As the face of AREA 17 to prospective clients, we work with our colleagues to persuasively articulate creative, strategic, and technical ideas to executives and practitioners alike. We find solutions to complex business challenges.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
We believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer robust packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; robust flexible PTO allowance; paid family leave; and subsidized transit benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.