As an Interactive Designer, you believe in form and function equally and through a process of iteration, you design user-centered, content driven products that offer intuitive utility and human connectivity. You place a strong emphasis on craft and take pride in seeking out simple solutions to complex problems. You deliver jaw dropping graphic design with pixel perfect accuracy and strive to create modern, well-crafted high performance websites.
On a product team at AREA 17, you will join forces with user experience designers, engineers, product directors, producers, and our clients. Building upon our client’s established goals, you’ll collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization. You’ll be responsible for designing complex systems and interface elements.
We help our clients succeed by delivering products that improve life, work and play. After over 13 years in business, we’ve enjoyed partnerships with some of the biggest brands and institutions in the world including Apple, ESPN, Harvard Art Museums, and the National Opera de Paris to name a few. We have studios in New York and Paris and operate dynamically as a united team.
Your previous experience shows us that you:
- Champion design; as you look out into the world, you see opportunity at every glance for how smarter design could make for a more beautiful, useful and joyful human experience. And, that’s exactly how you approach interactive design.
- Have a technical command; with a deep understanding of the importance of web technical specifications and requirements which you apply to creating visual systems which can be achieved in code.
- Are a born collaborator and thrive on cross-disciplinary work flows and feedback; you drive excellent results through consistent and proactive innovation and inspiring interactive designs; you love iteratively ideating until the best design arises.
Your primary responsibilities would be to...
- Develop highly resolved and formal designs of visual system and interface elements that take the product strategy to the next level.
- Executes the design on a project level and is ultimately responsible for the design of interface elements within all phases of a project lifecycle including project deliverables, ensuring brand and quality standards.
- Articulate the rationale of a design framework with conceptual and strategic ability.
- Contribute to user experience design as needed.
- Participate in all phases, from strategy to launch to optimization.
On paper, we’re looking for candidates with…
- 2-4 years’ experience (agency experience strongly desired) as an interactive designer especially digital work.
- An up-to-date online portfolio showcasing examples of your interactive design work (we would love to see your branding and graphic design chops, but are most excited to see digital work that has successfully launched into the world)
- Command of Adobe Illustrator (is a must)
- Experience in wireframing and prototyping tools, e.g. Sketch, Principle, Axure, InVision, Flinto, etc. as well as a working knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS is a plus.
- BA, BFA, MFA, BS, MS, in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, HCI, or equivalent experience
- Generous health and dental package
- MetroCard program (pre-tax, 50% co-pay)
- 12 paid days off
- Paid company closures on all bank holidays
- Paid break between Christmas and New Year