We’re looking for a compassionate, rigorous, and experienced human resource professional to join our New York studio. As HR Manager, you help actualize our mission through the implementation of people practices that meet and go beyond human resources standards and further differentiate our agency as an empathetic, collaborative and craft-driven company.
With command of core operations competencies, you support the interrelated facets of the employee life cycle spanning functional areas such as recruitment, onboarding, employee benefits, immigration, legal compliance, and professional development. You have a strong command of compliance and risk management in addition to a warm, perceptive communication style and professional approach.
Your previous experience should show us that...
- You’re an experienced human resources professional with an established track record of managing people operations programs within an agency or cross-disciplinary organization, leading day to day processes and serving as the foundation for employee safety and support. You balance business integrity with ongoing growth in equity, diversity, and service to employees.
- You have command of human resource standards and employment law (federal, state, and city). You understand how to assess, navigate, and mitigate risk while supporting a seamless and positive experience for employees. You understand the complexities of working in a global workforce and have experience in driving company policies and legal processes in areas such as immigration and employee benefits that ultimately protect the employee during their employee experience.
- You keep the team inspired through empathetic and thoughtful communication. You can navigate professional environments with strong emotional intelligence, keen listening skills, and diplomatic tact. You adapt your collaboration and communication style to your audience and build trusted relationships with those around you. You always demonstrate compassion and discretion and are clear and effective in delivering meaningful decisions across the organization.
As HR Manager, you champion the employee experience through the successful management of the employee life cycle in the following functional areas…
Kickstart positive employee experiences from recruitment through onboarding, including:
- Manage the hiring process from start to finish, from drafting job posts and setting up the hiring pipeline in our recruiting software to facilitating interviews, scorecards, and exercise materials
- Ensure a positive and productive recruitment experience, acting as the key partner and support system for the candidate
- Collaborate with discipline leads and decision makers to synthesize feedback and measure against essential functions of open roles
- Alongside discipline and agency leads, drive, manage and advance the employee onboarding experience, ensuring optimal comprehension and a seamless team building experience for new employees
With a detail-oriented approach, you own and manage operational processes from benefit administration to compliance
- Organize and manage employee’s legal and tax experience from documentation (I9s and E-verify) to tax processing and payroll enrollment
- In collaboration with our attorney, facilitate employee immigration inquiries and renewals with an understanding key visa petition categories
- Manage current policies (in collaboration with our attorney) and benefit offerings including transit, paid time off, open enrollment (medical, dental, vision), retirement and more
- Develop our benefits program with an innovative lens to ensure it is progressing alongside industry standards and advancements
- Manage compliance, HRIS administration, paid family leave benefits (with the support of our PEO, Justworks) and unemployment claims, ensuring city, state, and federal labor laws are adhered to in all matters
Manage and advance the team growth in collaboration with cross disciplinary leadership and program direction:
- Support our professional development program through facilitating performance reviews and gathering written documentation with our current tools (Small Improvements)
- With the direction of leadership, find opportunities for the advancement of our professional development program
AREA 17 is a digital product agency
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
We believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer robust packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; robust flexible PTO allowance; paid family leave, and subsidized transit benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.