As an Interface Engineer, you will collaborate with designers and application engineers to bring digital products to life. You sit at the crossroads of design and technology, with a keen eye for detail and passion for performant, clean code. You will be responsible for building front end templates and modules, testing design concepts in prototypes, and assisting the Technical Director in researching front end project setup. Working closely with all members of the project team, you will translate AREA 17’s exacting design methodology into code.
We are looking for a design savvy, communicative and collaborative Interface Engineer to join our Front End team. Successful candidates will have an established career in the field of Interface Engineering, with preference to those in an agency environment. You have an up-to-date online portfolio along with links to live projects out in the world. While qualified, candidates who are at the beginning of their coding career are encouraged to check back with us in the future. For our immediate search, we will give priority to candidates with established professional experience and will be looking for candidates with about 3-5 years experience.
Your previous experience shows us that…
- Your written and verbal communication is clear and concise. You can articulate complex technological concepts to fellow engineers and translate for non-engineers. You are adept at navigating technical conversations with both team members and clients alike.
- You have an understanding of agency workflow and are an expert collaborator. Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, you are able to pivot between work streams; you can focus on one project for an extended duration or contribute to multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re passionate about developing your craft as an engineer. Following industry-accepted standards, specifications and best practices, you read CSS-Tricks and Smashing Magazine, subscribe to WDRL, contribute to or follow open source projects. You love learning new technologies, but are discerning enough to know which aren’t production-ready.
As an Interface Engineer, your primary responsibilities will be to…
- Build responsive front end systems with special attention to performance and fidelity to design. AREA 17 is passionate about design and so a key tenet for our front end engineering team is ensuring pixel-perfect accuracy in all templates.
- Collaborate on research and experimentation for client and internal project work. Our team is dedicated to developing our process through group meetings and knowledge shares; you will be integral in helping the whole department stay up-to-date.
- Support the back end engineer in application integration (RoR, PHP, Wordpress).
- Write specs and documentation for readmes, internal documentation as needed.
The Engineering team crafts performant and sustainable solutions with equal commitment to crafting the interfaces; to bring our beautiful visual designs to live through code. With rigor, the team applies these skills to serve our collective mission — to make great work and live great lives.
Fundamentally, we are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist for all— we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.