AREA 17 is looking for an Engineering Director to join the Engineering team in our New York studio. At AREA 17 we create digital products, built for people. To develop custom software that supports business goals and responds to user needs we make engineering a fundamental part of our design process. We write high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability and performance.
As an Engineering Director, your focus will be across two core ongoing workstreams— as the technical lead on projects, defining the product requirements and guiding your team’s success, and as technical lead in business development, liaising with and designing application recommendations for new clients and working with producers to scope technical builds. With your track record of successful products live in the world, you draw from your experience to wax eloquent— you transform business requirements into a strategic application architecture.
The engineering team
We develop custom software that responds to business needs by making engineering a fundamental part of the design process. The engineering team is a design-driven group of coders, thinkers, and problem solvers who bring ideas into reality through the rigorous articulation of creative, strategic, and technical concepts, and ultimately by write high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability and performance.
Within project teams, with clients and with one another, our engineers are consummate collaborators who apply their skills to serve our collective mission – to make great work and live great lives.
Your previous experience should show us that:
- You are craft-driven — as a seasoned application engineer with back-end development experience in an agency environment, you’ve developed and lead large-scale and concurrent technology engagements. With 5-8 years experience … this isn’t your first rodeo.
- You have advanced knowledge and mastery of programming languages, frameworks and architectural patterns. Including: PHP, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, Wordpress, SQL, queues, services, concurrency, load balancing, reliability, and failover. Not only do you know all about these languages but you can propose alternative solutions and cost-benefit analysis based on these technologies.
- You can review business requirements to craft a system architecture that meets and exceeds client needs. You reduce risk and deliver builds on time and on budget without diminishing code quality.
- You’re comfortable conversing with clients both technical and non-technical alike to sell through your recommendation.
As Engineering Director, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Lead technology work streams across concurrent projects. The success of your leadership is gauged by three measures:
- Craft — Ensure the highest quality output. Quality defined as efficient, clean, expressive, maintainable, and well-architected code.
- Culture — Support and improve the developer experience (DX) as noted below.
- Business — Reduce risk. On time, on budget. You can assess recommendations against scope, cost, and craft contingency plans.
- Design strategic application architecture recommendations and scope technical builds in the RFP and new business process. You’ll foster buy-in from client stakeholders and team engineers alike.
- Protect and drive productivity, efficiency, and optimization that bolsters developer happiness. From the perspective of developer experience, you are chiefly concerned with process optimization— how we work together.
- Support and navigate technical aspects of the office operations. As advisor to our internal network productivity, you will work with the office operations team in New York and globally as needed to ensure the physical infrastructure of A17 is optimized.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
At AREA 17, we believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and must work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer competitive packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; robust flexible PTO allowance; paid family leave; and subsidized transit benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.
It might take several days until you hear from us, but stay tuned – we’ll get back to you.