Location: Brooklyn, NY
About the position
Our Engineering team in New York is growing. If you are a technical product professional and have a passion for design, technology, and digital products, please read on.
With the belief that we can help the world to be more open, resilient, and optimistic, we work with clients we trust and admire across various industries, such as Getty, Nike, and The New York Times. As an engineering-led design firm, our technical expertise focuses on building scalable digital products and platforms to support business objectives. Our Engineering team is charged with building, launching and maintaining robust, accessible and performant web and mobile applications while working in an interdisciplinary team of designers, strategists and engineers.
As the Engineering Director, you are the most senior technical representative on client engagements who works closely with project leadership to manage technical delivery against a timeline and scope. You work closely with the Group Engineering Director to expand our methodology and champion the growth of our offerings and team. Success in this position will be achieved through deploying a consistent technical methodology across our portfolio of projects, and ultimately gaining the trust of our clients. The final title and salary for this position will be based on experience.
Who we’re looking for
At AREA 17 we champion diversity in all forms. We are an international team of 80+ people from 18 countries, speaking 13 languages. As individuals and a team, we are inspired by the world around us and united by our values of rigor, curiosity, kindness, courage, and je ne sais quoi. We are looking for applicants who feel connected to and inspired by our shared values along with those that feel aligned with our DEI Statement.
We have found the following capabilities to be crucial to the success of our Engineering team. If these resonate with you, and you are looking for an opportunity to lead, we encourage you to apply:
- Industry awareness. You are driven by the fact that design and technology are essential to the modern world. You have a clear understanding of the agency landscape and business model, how to work with a variety of industry sectors, and how teams produce large-scale and complex multi-domain platforms from inception to launch.
- Business leadership. You know how to manage your work to support both client needs and the agency business model. You’re able to adapt your capabilities to support a wide portfolio of clients and technical needs. You’re comfortable leading conversations with senior internal and client stakeholders.
- Technical expertise. You thrive when building a plan to deliver the right approach for a particular job. You collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, contributing technical expertise while leading engineering teams to ensure quality output.
- Communication. Technology is your second language. You converse around technical subjects in a way that is accessible to all, whether they are engineers with technical expertise or stakeholders who need support in understanding the value of engineering for their business structure.
Working closely with the rest of the Global Engineering and New York portfolio teams, the Engineering Director’s responsibilities are across our three organizational sectors: Deliver, Engage, Operate. See below for more detail:
The Engineering Director is responsible for delivering technical value to our clients while building our engineering team's capabilities. With an open-source mentality, the Engineering Director is frequently innovating and initiating new opportunities for the organization to advance our offering.
Examples of responsibilities:
- Lead the engineering team’s approach to build performant and engaging products, ensuring the highest quality output
- Craft documentation standards and specifications on projects or internal templates, as needed
- Day to day management of engineers on projects to make sure they are building performant products (and the right products)
- QA the products we builds, ensuring technical requirements are met
- Managing the deployment and production of a large scale site (hosting structure, (performant, secure, etc))
The Engineering Director collaborates closely with the Partnerships team to provide strong technical representation while we establish client relationships. They carry this role through to active projects, working closely with Producers, Strategy Directors and Design Directors to lead projects and clients through the technical aspects of engagements.
Examples of responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary representative for Engineering at AREA 17 with new business opportunities or active client engagements
- Build and assess recommendations against scope, cost, and craft plans to reduce risk and deliver on time and on budget
- Lead technical approaches for new business opportunities and active projects including site auditing, RFP synthesis, technical scoping and communicate considerations, complexities or risks associated with an approach
- Ensure client’s trust us as technical experts by partnering with clients who have technical expertise to build relationships and confidence in our engineering capabilities or guiding clients who lack technical expertise to support their technical business strategy
As a leader for both clients and teams, the Engineering Director is a mentor and collaborator across the organization. As a Director, they are responsible for coaching others, managing their time (and others) effectively, and actively participating in building the culture at AREA 17.
Examples of responsibilities:
- Protect and drive productivity, efficiency, and optimization to grow the engineering team and foster a positive experience
- Source, vet, and manage vendors and freelancers when needed for project engagements
- Coach others in your discipline to support their professional development and champion growth opportunities
- Enhance how the engineering team works with each other, inter-disciplinarily and with external partners
Benefits of working with AREA 17
At AREA 17, we believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and must work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer competitive packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; no-cap PTO; 401k; paid family leave; and subsidized transit benefits, to name a few.
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. As a company, we structure our team across bands and levels to create a path for growth and development. Our bands include Specialist, Director and Leadership. Within the Specialist band there are Associates, Specialists and Senior Specialists. Within the Director band there are Associate Directors, Directors and Senior Directors. Within the Leadership band there are Group Directors, Managing Directors and Senior Leadership. AREA 17 is owned and operated by its Partners, who also hold Senior Leadership positions. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
We are an equal opportunity employer
AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.