We are looking for an advanced Laravel engineer to join our team in New York. As a Backend Engineer, you will collaborate with front-end engineers, designers, and producers to bring digital products to life.
You will be responsible for architecting and building backend applications for our clients using a range of solutions including our open source toolkit for Laravel, Twill; or packaged solutions such as Wordpress or Drupal where needed. In addition to your work as a system architect, you will integrate front end templates and modules within the backend platform, and assist Engineering Directors in researching optimal methodology based on the project requirements.
What we are looking for in our next team member:
- Strong knowledge of modern PHP techniques, Laravel framework and related tools
- Fluent with database technologies as PostgreSQL and MySQL/MariaDB
- Comfortable with provisioning and deployment tools such as Forge and Ansible
- Savvy user of Git
- Keen eye for detail and passion for performant, clean code
Other technologies that would be nice to be familiar with:
- Cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services, Azure or Google Cloud
- Search engines technology like Elasticsearch or Algolia
- Wordpress and/or Drupal
- Continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
In addition to the technical specifications above, your previous experience should show us that…
- Your written and verbal communication is clear and concise. You can articulate complex technological concepts to fellow engineers and translate for non-engineers. You are adept at navigating technical conversations with both team members and clients alike.
- You have an understanding of agency workflow and are an expert collaborator. Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, you are able to pivot between work streams; you can focus on one project for an extended duration or contribute to multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re passionate about developing your craft as an engineer. You follow industry-accepted standards, specifications and best practices and you contribute to or follow open source projects. You love learning new technologies, but are discerning enough to know which aren’t production-ready.
As a Backend Engineer, your primary responsibilities will be to…
- Build backend applications with special attention to performance, extensibility, sustainability, and security.
- Extend application features by building interfaces to 3rd party services).
- Set up codebase and various environments (local, test, production) with deployment tools to be used by the other developers of the team.
- Collaborate on research and experimentation for client and internal project work. Our team is dedicated to developing our process through group meetings and knowledge shares; you will be integral in helping the whole department stay up-to-date.
- Support the front-end engineer in client-side application integration.
- Write specs and documentation for readmes, internal or external documentation as needed.
The engineering team
We develop custom software that responds to business needs by making engineering a fundamental part of the design process. The engineering team is a design-driven group of coders, thinkers, and problem solvers who bring ideas into reality through the rigorous articulation of creative, strategic, and technical concepts, and ultimately by write high-quality code that prioritizes reliability, scalability and performance.
Within project teams, with clients and with one another, our engineers are consummate collaborators who apply their skills to serve our collective mission – to make great work and live great lives.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency
As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
Benefits of working with AREA 17
At AREA 17, we believe making great work and living great lives are inextricably linked—and must work synchronously to achieve harmony. In crafting our benefit programs, we emphasize our employees’ wellness and offer competitive packages including medical, dental, and vision plans with low or no deductible; robust flexible PTO allowance; paid family leave; and subsidized transit benefits to name a few.
We are an equal opportunity employer
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.
AREA 17 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, and/or disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.